Monday, February 8, 2010

Company Spotlight: Golden Grahams Cereal.... Who Knew?


I'm surprised.  Surprised that I'm actually spotlighting a breakfast cereal for their cool concept when honestly, there hasn't been much of anything really interesting or progressive going down with cereals in a while. 
Cereals were king of the television ad.  They almost all have mascots like tigers, elves, vampires, and all sorts of other animated beings to get kids attention.  Because that's who eats cereal right?  Kids?
Wrong.  Case in point: one meal I made on a first date was in fact Fruity Pebble rice krispy squares.  I think there's a huge missed market with cereals to capture based on twenty-somethings' nostalgia for our favorite cereals back before their sugary goodness was deemed a product of the devil and bad parenting.
Annnyway, Golden Grahams has made a really funny contest called Golden Grant.
It's not as noble as it sounds, the winner will win a whole 12 boxes of cereal.  It's based on the twenty-something job search and the fact that while scraping to make ends meet cereal is still a viable food source.  I think it's brilliant.
Best parts:  Live feed for people to type in their job interview horror story.  The reason why this is so great is it's REALLY EASY to participate. 
Job interview tip videos that are really cute to watch and appeal to adults, not children.
The only thing I would have done to make this a little more visible is to create a Twitter component and promote it on job sites (maybe they are I haven't seen it).  Either way, kudos to Golden Grahams for the tongue in cheek contest!
Ok, now that I've thought about this a bit more I wanted to see which (sugar) breakfast cereals had decent Twitter feeds since they appear to be lagging behind the healthy cereals in terms of social media development.  When I looked.....  none were active enough to even mention (if you see that your favorite cereal has one and I missed it please leave it in the comments)!!  That's crazy because almost everyone I know has some attachment to his/her favorite kids cereal and still buys it on occasion.  That's a great fan base for a killer social project.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Royce said...

I can tell you this - Golden Grahams are delicious

Maybe sugary breakfast cereals don't need to do as much marketing as the healthy cereals because they are SO FREAKING DELICIOUS and all the famous ones already have well-known brand names, unlike Kashi Acai Berry Walnut Crunch or whatever their flavor du jour is. Honestly Golden Grahams' social advertising strategy could be "aren't we delicious?" and I would be like "yes, yes you are... I want me a bowl right now". Done and done.

February 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

Royce -
I'm with you but the "aren't we delicious?" would be a hot topic for other cereals like:
Fruity Pebbles
Count Chocula
Cookie Crisp
Trix
and also Lucky Charms... which I guess are magically delicious but whatever.

February 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This site totally had me giggling during my lunch break. I'm loving how creative all these larger corporations are getting! It helps influence the public aesthetic, I think. And in a positive way!

I almost shared my story, but there weren't enough characters to fully describe the awkwardness of this interview I went on. Great concept, though.

February 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Rebecca - I vote you share the awkwardness right in these here comments, then...

February 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home